25 April 2011

Testing, testing... VegNews and Carla's New Cookbook

Reading, to me, is like yoga and cooking -- wonderful for the mind and soul.  As many of you know, one of the events I most eagerly anticipate is the arrival of a treasured journal in my mailbox; similarly, the library (especially when my hold requests are in) is like perpetual Christmas morning.  Recently, however, the joy of the former has been a source of concern rather than the usual uplifting experience.

A Test for the Community
As I have mentioned before, the sense of community I've felt since becoming a vegan was an unexpected, but encouraging and inspiring accompaniment to my lifestyle change.  This communal spirit emerges in blog readership and posting, support for emerging vegan voices, and united effort in confronting issues -- from saving an animal to trying to get a vegan chef on ANY big name cooking channel.  In the face of the ubiquitous "'vegetarians just don't understand'" or even vegans "like bacon" etc., this community does its best to focus its collective efforts on forward movement through education, activism, and darn, delicious eats.  Thus,  when a powerhouse in all aspects of this lifestyle, VegNews, compromises its integrity and, to make matters worse, initially attempts the same sort of corporate cover-up that it would give a public "stick" to (if not full expose!) were it another organization, publication, or entity, the impact is even more detrimental to the vegan cause (full story here).  Thus, it was with a heavy heart that I found the latest issue of said magazine in my mailbox last week.

I had just read about the scandal when I received it; I had also read how the community was responding and reacting.  I wanted to stay positive that the magazine would do the right thing and actually, truly issue a heartfelt apology (see apology via full story link above); I tried to ward off my cynical feeling that the apology only came because the initial brush-off only worsened the backlash.  I either consciously or unconsciously hid the magazine under a pile of other "stuff."  More than a week after all of this has occurred, I have managed to unearth the magazine if not open it yet, but I hope to do so today.  The damage from this incident to the strides this community has made in terms of public recognition, awareness, and acceptance has been done.  Although I will unfortunately bring more skepticism to my reading chair with subsequent issues, this situation has made me want to become an even more vocal advocate in the vegan community.  Perhaps, in the wake of this upset, other members, like me, will be more willing to speak up and keep all community members, leaders, or resources, focused on what it means to live this lifestyle and responsibly support its efforts to the best of our abilities.

Testing in the Kitchen

Kidney Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
First slicing of the Stuffed and Rolled Seitan Roast

Plated Roast with "Smoked" Gravy and my Maple Glazed Broccoli and Brussels
(Sub veggies for salad, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and homemade focaccia
and you have my AMAZING Easter dinner -- Thanks Carla and Mills Fam!)
Remembering the Cup
Have you tried this practice  yet?  Here are some of my recent goodies:

As always, the fur children (they enjoy sunbathing together in the yard)
 -- and yes, the SUN!

Purple and White Pansies Planted with the Hub

Italian Feast -- prepared by the hub (while this lady enjoyed a glass of wine
 and one of her recently retrieved gifts from the library's hold shelf)

What's in your cup?

No comments:

Post a Comment