27 April 2011

Easter Eats Continue: Gingery Garlic Tofu with Broccoli and Rice

I was especially proud of and thankful for my aunt this Easter and reminded, again, of how lucky I am as a vegan to have such supportive family and friends.  Although I certainly would have been quite content with a plate full of the many delicious veggie or veg.-friendly sides (like her amazing focaccia), my wonderful aunt also tried her hand at making tofu for what, I believe, was her first time!   Way to go! Not only did I get to have some of that specially prepared dish on Sunday, but we also got to enjoy it outside in our gazebo (affectionately known as the "gabeez" from an early christening by my grandma) on a warm spring evening.

Gingery Garlicky Tofu with Broccoli and Brown Rice
My aunt found the recipe on the Whole Food website.  She used half a block of tofu and the entire marinade recipe; when I make this again, I will use the entire block of tofu but the same marinade amount (as written), because there was plenty of marinade.  To augment our leftovers, I made 2/3 c. brown rice according to the package directions and thinly sliced one broccoli crown.  I sauteed the broccoli in about 1/2 T. of garlic oil over med. heat and, after about 2 min., added a drizzle of maple syrup, some crushed red pepper, and pinches of s/p, so that my additions would match tofu in flavor.  What a quick and healthy dinner for us!  Thanks again, Aunt S.!

I hope my aunt's success will also inspire you to try your hand at making a new vegan dish or ingredient;  this week, I am going to try -- mustard greens!  Stay tuned to see where they take me in the kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. Aunt S5:09 PM

    Looks especially yummy with the broccoli!

    ReplyDelete