21 April 2011

Filling the Cup and Grilled Sweet and Sour Skewers

On Sunday, I finally felt well enough to get back on my mat; although the class was fairly gentle, I found it difficult to be gentle with myself.  I didn't feel strong or focused; I couldn't leave my worries or to-do's at the door.  As usual, the teacher seemed to have sensed my state, as her guidance throughout class and our  homework assignment (which, as she says, is between the student and the universe) was fitting.

The homework seemed to echo a strategy outlined in a May 2011 Yoga Journal article about fostering positive perspective.  Here it is: pretend to have (or literally do so, if the tangible helps you) a cup that symbolizes you.  Each day begins with an empty cup; instead of filling it with both the positive and negative in the day, fill it with only the positive and remove the negative.  As I recall, YJ mentioned beginning this perspective-changing process by physically putting notes into the cup, reviewing them at the close of the day, removing any negatives that may have slipped by, and then emptying the cup to leave the past in the past and begin the new day with fresh perspective.   This, in a nutshell, is what our teacher assigned us to do -- keep the positives with us and begin each day anew.

In today's post, I'd like to share some positives that seem to appear on a daily basis in my cup.

+ My sister-in-law, Lizzie, truly inspires me.  She has got to be having the most challenging pregnancy ever and is currently in the "penthouse" (as she calls it) of Labor and Delivery at her hospital, despite having many, many weeks to go until her due date.  Still, in her daily updates, she focuses on the good, even if it is just the simple joy of sitting on a couch in her hospital room, instead of prone on the bed.

+ Thoughtful and open omnivores:  I know that I am lucky.  Since I chose the vegan lifestyle, I have had wonderful support from family, friends, and even acquaintances, who not only enjoy my sometimes unusual dishes but also prepare veg.-friendly dishes for me.  I know, however, that not everyone who has made this choice has had a similar experience.  This weekend, I was reminded again of this positive in dining with my neighbors.    Since becoming closer to Ken and Peggy, I have been continually blessed by their willingness to try my dishes (yay Ken!) or find favorite recipes that will work for my dining pleasure (yay Peggy!).  Thus, it is Peggy's Sweet and Sour Sauce (from her well-worn copy of a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook) that marinaded our kabobs this weekend!

Peggy's Sweet and Sour Sauce (with slight adaptation from the aforementioned) 


This sauce goes a long way -- it marinated between 16-20 kabobs total (with sauce left for dish drizzling, if saved post marinating and skewer brushing).  Peggy gave me a half-batch that she had made, so in full disclosure, I didn't make this myself.  However, I CAN guarantee deliciousness; the hub had TWO portions of TOFU (not usually his fave) and veg -- it is that good.  Notes: it is very soy sauce forward, so I'd suggest starting with 1/4 c. and increasing to your preferred taste.  The other suggestions here are things I might try when I next make it myself.

1 T cornstarch
1 T cold water
1/2 c. sugar (consider 1/3-1/2 allotment with agave or maple syrup, if you are off refined sugar)
1/2 c. soy sauce (tamari, etc. as you prefer)
1/4 c. vinegar (red wine used here)
1 clove garlic minced (I might add two next time, since I'm garholic.)
1/2 t. dried ginger
Black pepper

For the sauce:

1. Mix the cornstarch and water together to dissolve the cornstarch fully.
2. Stir together with remaining ingredients.
3. Then, microwave at 1 min. intervals until sauce has thickened; Peggy says this takes about 4 min.  You could also thicken this on the stove.

Skewers:

If you have the metal skewers, you are good to go.  Otherwise, don't forget to soak the appropriate number of wooden skewers in advance (maybe 3-4 hours).

1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
2 portabello mushrooms, cut into chunks
15 (or so) grape tomatoes
1/2 block of extra firm tofu, pressed and then cut into skewer-friendly chunks (about 12-16)
1 onion, chunks

1. Combine bell pepper, tofu, onion, and tomatoes in a bowl with half recipe of marinade (or double above allotments to use full amount); let deliciousness meld for about 45 min.  Add mushrooms, stir, and meld for 15 more min. (I suggest the separation because we did them all together, and I thought that the mushrooms, because they suck in everything, took more than their share of flavor.)

* 1 c. short grain brown rice -- prepare according to package directions.  This prep usually takes about 30-35 min., so you can do it ahead of time and just set it aside if you are fine with lukewarm or start it now to complete its cooking (approximately) when skewers are done.

2. Thread as you choose onto soaked skewers.  We like to alternate items.  Prepare grill.

3.  Grill skewers on med.-low, brushing them with remaining marinade as you turn them every five min., for about 20-25 min. total.


Now THIS is what I call tailgating. :)

Grill -- YAY!

Served on top of steamed brown rice -- please and thank you.

+ And last, but in no way least, simple pleasures:

Fur sibling love on a cloudy, but warmer day
The first tulip that blooms

Peas (look by wooden stake) and radishes rising
My first harvest -- remember that shot in early March of a just planted bed?
 Here is arugula and spinach from that very place at the farm!
Whether you use this tool on a daily basis or on occasion, I hope that thinking about the figurative cup helps you refocus on the positive, as it has helped me.  Maybe, you can just leave your favorite cheery cup, mug, glass out as a daily reminder or post a picture drawn by one of your favorite child artists.  Whatever you choose, try to remember that each day arrives full of positive possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment