04 April 2011

Recipe requests, Battle Bob, and 60th B-day Fun!

Dear readers, I've missed you!

Between fun with technology, the improved weather, jobs, interviews, and visitors, I've missed my blog time.  In perusing my reader this morning, I see that I am not the only blogger who is having seasonal separation.  Guess, I'll just have to give this sunrise yoga a go and hope that the earlier daily start time will provide a bit more time for blogging.

We got snow AGAIN last week (of course on the day that my father flew in for a visit), but then, it was gorgeous over this past weekend.  Peas, radishes, and spinach were planted (picture forthcoming when the incoming rains have departed); delicious meals were consumed; and the majority of the golf ball bucket was crushed by me at the driving range (ok...maybe a beginning crushing :)).  Earlier in the week, I also chased a rooster out of the farm garden...repeatedly; he can't have our worms, but I appreciated his determination.

In the midst of it all, I made some favorite recipes and took on Bob's Sausage Biscuits and Gravy with my veganized version.  Plates were clean and the birthday boy was contentedly full -- 'nuff said.

By request, the Triple-Layer Cheesecake (a recipe that originally appeared in VegNews as created by Beverly Lynn Bennet) made its reappearance.

While we certainly enjoyed this deliciousness, both the hub and I are ready to get back to our more cleanse-friendly practices.  It's been interesting to notice the impact on our bodies over the last two weeks of off-cleanse eating.  Awareness is good!

Other favorites included the Refried Bean Soup recipe that I adapted from Fix-It-And-Forget It Lightly (posted elsewhere on the blog...I think), as well as this recipe for Garlic Knots.  Both the knots and the cheesecake are excellent reminders that vegan does not necessarily mean healthy (as even BAKERIES sometimes claim).  Consuming a plant-based diet (omitting the processed items, as extra sugars, fats, flours etc.) is the best way to go!  This is definitely a reminder to me from my body after this past week.

In addition to serving the knots as a side to the BBQ, Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes (yes...VEGAN!), and Sauteed Greens, they also served as the biscuit stand-in during Battle Bob.  Let me explain: a favorite dish for my father and brother, consumed on the special occasion of road tripping to see family, was/is the Sausage Biscuits and Gravy at Bob Evan's.  Now, certainly, the traditional version would not be happening here, but I like revision challenges as you know.  Especially given the birthday events, this challenge was particularly important.  Since the garlic knots are "like buttah" in your mouth, I thought they'd be a lovely biscuit stand-in.  I used the white bean and tempeh sausage patties from VwV and made Carla's Mushroom Gravy (a testing recipe from the cookbook in progress).  The hub made his homefries (better and better).  I left my set-up a bit deconstructed so that the various elements were visible.



I added some leftover sauteed greens to mine...just because I love them.
Plates were wiped clean, as they always were at Bob's.  I consider this a mark of successful veganization.

Finally, I leave you with a recipe that sets the tone for the cleaner forthcoming weeks that we plan for this homestead.  It is simple in flavor and preparation.  By reader request,  here is the recipe for the Green Quinoa Bowl.

1/2 c. red quinoa (prepared according to package directions -- use broth for water)
1 T. olive oil
2 c. fresh Brussels Sprouts, thinly sliced
2 c. fresh broccoli, sliced and chopped (1/2"-1" pieces)
1/2 c. shallots, finely diced
1/2 c. green baby Swiss Chard, thinly sliced
2 c. arugula
Salt, pepper, and red pepper

* This recipe is certainly one that is amenable to substitution-- spinach for arugula, extra broccoli instead of Brussels, greens as....you....wish (echo, echo, echo).  It is a fantastic recipe for just using up odds 'n ends and getting those greens!  You could even (if absolutely necessary) use leftover bits of steamed veggies from earlier meals.

1. Start quinoa.  While quinoa is cooking, heat oil over med. in large saute pan.  Add brussels, broccoli, and shallots.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a few twists of red pepper and saute for 3-5 min.  Once veggies have started to soften (broc and brussels warmed but somewhat al dente), add chard and arugula.

2. Cook until chard and arugula have softened but all items are still vibrant in color.  Taste, and add salt, pepper, red pepper to your liking.  (I kept seasonings to the minimum of natural veg. flavor enhancement -- let the market produce shine!).

3. When quinoa is finished, mix gently to combine with greens.  Note: the quinoa mostly serves as color accent to the greens, like cranberries or nuts on a salad (present and flavoriffic, but not the predominant element).

Enjoy!

Looks like rain here for the next several days, but I love this element of spring too -- a productive setting for cleaning, reading, regrouping, and germination (haha!).  Go, seedlings, go!

1 comment: