05 October 2011

Namaste, Arame.

 Namaste. A word that ended my Prana Flow class this evening and that I know from my practice to mean "the spirit or divine in me bows to the spirit or divine in you."  According to Wikipedia, it is also a salutation of greeting or farewell.  Today, I said hello both in spirit and in stomach to Arame -- a sea vegetable that I received courtesy of my friend, Carolyn (also my exchange partner, as mentioned in the last post).

To be honest, I got home from yoga today at 7 p.m. and wanted a fast dinner.  I also wanted to try something new (enter Arame) and, subsequently, to encourage you to do the same! Thus, dinner tonight was a reduced basket item version of "Chopped."   It was already late when I got home; the hub was waiting; and we were hungry. The Arame guided me to an Asian orientation, as I had already been craving a simple veggie soup.  The only change I might make next time is to skip the noodles entirely -- the arame operates exactly the same way in this dish (and offers the benefit of more fiber!).  The final dish was both light, after the cleansing power of yoga, and filling, after the long day; it provided fresh warmth with overtones of spice-- soothing, warming, and amenable to your taste preferences or veggie variations!  So, again, I must salute -- Namaste, Arame.

Dried Arame to the left as it comes in the package ,
 then post-soaking and immersion with the bowl broth and veggies. 



Arame Noodle Bowl
Serves 4

1 T. roasted garlic oil (or regular EVOO)
1 med. onion (sliced and diced)
1.5 c. baby carrots, mandolined (if using standard carrots, peel and then just peel to core)
2 celery stalks, cut in half and thinly sliced
6 thinly length-wise sliced greens (chard, collard, and kale leaves)
1- 2 t. ginger to taste (I used minced)
1-2 T. tamari or soy sauce
10 drop of sriracha (or to taste)
4 oz. Maifun rice noodles
.75 oz. arame (Soak to prepare according to pkg. directions)
4-6 c. water

1. Heat oil in large saucepan over med. high.  Add onion and brown over med. heat for 3-4 minutes. Add 1/2 c. water. and continue to soften onions. Then, add carrots and celery; saute for 3-4 min. further.  Add 1 T. tamari, sriracha, and ginger.  Saute for  2 min.
2. Add 3.5 c. water.  Bring to a boil.  Add noodles -- boil for 3-4 min. as directed.  Add 1-2 c. water to achieve desired amount of broth as noodles will soak up quite a bit of extant broth.
3. Add arame and greens.  Stir to combine and slightly wilt greens.
4. Taste and add additional soy sauce. Serve.



1 comment: