03 October 2011

Apple Jicama Chutney and A Thanksgiving-Inspired Sandwich

Do you know the difference between conserves, fruit butters, jams, jellies, marmalades, relishes, preserves, and chutneys?  I sure didn't, until I did some research in my handy, dandy Cooking A to Z.  I am still not up to reciting the differences on command, but I certainly enjoy the nuanced distinctions between each item (probably due to my word nerddom). This same text defines chutneys as "fruits of vegetables cooked very slowly with sugar, vinegar, and spices" (318).   I wasn't originally thinking chutney for this sandwich but rather a lovely accompaniment of green apple and jicama salad.  However, my jicama had been waiting for attention for a bit too long and wasn't as crisp as I would have liked.  (New to me:  jicama should be stored like other root veggies and NOT in the fridge in order to maximize life expectancy.  Thanks, Wikipedia!)  Consequently, I decided to go with a warm preparation, and, having recently made a tomato chutney, this adaptation was born!




Apple Jicama Chutney (very loosely inspired by the Apricot Chutney in Cooking A to Z)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. cumin
1 small onion, diced
2 Granny Smith apples, diced
1 Jicama Root, diced
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/2-3/4 c. water
1/2-3/4 c. apple cider vinegar

Mix in a saucepot.  Bring to a boil -- reduce heat to simmer until mix is reduced by about half.

Use a marinade, spread, dip, etc.  This might also be cool to serve as a side -- a la a savoried up applesauce with a bit of crunch.  Makes about 2-3 c.

From the Test Kitchen: Garlic and Sage Sausages browning in the fry pan (from Carla Kelly's Vegan Al Fresco)


I topped the sausages with the chutney and brussels sprouts (5 to be exact), which I sliced thinly, sauteed in 1/2 t. oil, a bit of water, 1/2 t. maple syrup, and flashes of salt and pepper (my go to brussels prep, usually in larger quantity).  Then, I topped toasted pieces of the Butternut, Sage, and Garlic bread with chutney, then with sausages halves, and finally the brussels.

The review: If you know me well, you know that I fail equally at accepting compliments and recognizing my positives.  So, prepare...  This sandwich rocks...and, if only for this evening, I rule. :)  This is both holiday in a sandwich and holiday leftovers to the max.  Why wait until Thanksgiving?  Brussels, butternut, and apples are all in season!

Eat me; I am delicious.


3 comments:

  1. This sounds good and I've never cooked with jicama before, I didn't even know what it was 'til I clicked your link but I feel I should have known this seeing as I live in Spain. I'm gonna hunt one down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, especially the sausages! and I LOVE Brussels...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeni -- Yay -- enjoy! It has many cold applications too; I remember seeing thin slices used as wrappers for apps. I hope to try that soon too! Carla -- Those sausages rock -- M even had them on a chopped salad tonight!

    ReplyDelete