15 April 2011

'Tis the Season...for Grillin'!

Lately, blogs and cooking magazines have been filled with Spring produce and accompanying recipes.  When I saw some lovely asparagus in the grocery store, I found myself overcome by my need to have it and by my mind racing through all of the possible preparations.  But then, it was warm, the BBQ called, and again it was reiterated to me -- sometimes, simplicity is best.

Grill supervisors

I try not to eat a lot of processed foods, but sometimes, I just enjoy a grilled Smart Dog.  With grilling in the plans and leftover garlic biscuits already made , cooking the asparagus inside just seemed silly.  Although I had eaten it grilled before, I wanted to make sure that we didn't lose any stalks or flavor with too much marinade or fuss.  So often, asparagus seems to get buried by anything else in a recipe.  Here, we just brushed the asparagus lightly with garlic olive oil and flashed each side with salt and pepper.  Each side was grilled for approx. 5-7 min. until crisp-tender and grill marked.  YAY!  (Side note: the biscuit recipe rocks and is very quick and flexible;  I omit cheese and butter topping, and  add 1 hearty t. garlic powder and 1-2 t. dried basil.)



In addition to grillin', testing for Carla's Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking dominated our dining experience this week.  More yum!
Roasted Cauliflower and Carrot Dal
(with addition of broccoli, because I love green food)

Italian Barley


Creamy Leek and Almond Pasta with Roasted Brussel Sprouts
(Who knew you could do pasta in a slow cooker?)

No comments:

Post a Comment